Tuesday 1 November 2011

Studio 4oC


Website: http://www.studio4c.co.jp/english/

Of all the more experimental animation studios out there my ultimate favourite would be Studio 4oC in Japan. Avant-guarde, experimental their films and OVA's are consistently interesting and well done if often mind-bogglingly confusing. They work using a combination of 2D and 3D animation which is blended seamlessly together to create striking visuals and dynamic effects. 4oC is led by animator Eiko Tanaka who worked alongside the brilliant animator Hayao Myazaki on My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. The studio's most famous works in the Western cinema audience would be the series of segments they worked on as part of the animatrix [they were responsible for detective story, Kids story and Beyond] and also one of my favourite all time anime films Tekkonkinkreet. What I like most about the studio's work is that although they stick to traditional anime conventions and background they break all the rules and are not afraid to experiment often creating confusing or uncomfortable images for the viewer to watch. I never get bored of watching the work they produce and they remain a constant source of inspiration for me in my 2D work. Probably my favourite experimental piece which they have done is Dimention Bomb which was part of their Genius Party, a series of seven short films and a link to it can be found below, I still have no real idea what the narrative is explaining but the imagery produced is gorgeous and it is I feel a good summation of the kind of work which the studio produce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKMWfldMTiI&feature=related . 

1 comment: